How to Talk about Your Neighborhood
Places around Town
These are some of the most common places that you can find in a city or neighborhood
|Bus Station||Taxi Stand||Bus Station|
|Gym||Shoe Store||City Hall|
Prepositions of Place
These are some of the most common prepositions to locate places in a city or neighborhood
|Next to||Across From|
|In front of||Between|
Grammar: There is and There are
You can describe a neighborhood using there is and there are. In the examples, you will see how to make a sentence using
- There is or There are
- Prepositions of Place
- Places in Town
- There is a church in front of the park
- There is a clothing store next to the library
- There are three drugstores in town
- There are four different supermarkets and two grocery stores
- There isn’t a park
- There isn’t a supermarket in my city
- There isn’t a gas station in my town
- There aren’t big supermarket in my small town
- Are there two restaurants?
- Are there three supermarkets
- Is there a restaurant next to the police station?
- Is there a catholic church
Describe Your Neighborhood – There is and There are
I live in a small town in Honduras, in my community, you can find all kind of places, for example, you can go to the swimming pool which is located near the park.
There are three supermarkets and there is a bus station next to the bank. There are no airports or train stations in my town.
There is a hospital near the park and you can find two or three dugstores.
|Person A: Hey Derek, What’s up?|
|Person B: Not much, I have to go to work|
|Person A: I need to go to the repair shop|
|Person B: What’s wrong with your car?|
|Person A: I have to change the oil|
|Person B: There is a repair shop nearby|
|Person A: Where is the repair shop?|
|Person B: It is next to the Taco Bell|
|Person A: Thanks for you help, Take care man|
|Person A: Hey Lisa, How are you doing?|
|Person B: I am doing great|
|Person A: What are you doing here?|
|Person B: I have to buy a cake, where is the bakery?|
|Person A: The Bakery is in front of elementary school|
|Person B: I also need to buy a present, what place do you recommend?|
|Person A: Try La nueva Store, It is not that expensive|
|Person B: Thanks for the recommendation|
|Person A: See you later.|
Task-Based Lesson: Describe your Neighborhood
Schema Activation (5 Mins)
Pop the Balloon
- The teacher gives students a balloon with a strip of paper inside, the strip of paper has a place from a neighborhood.
- The teacher plays a song and students pass around the balloon, when the music stops, the student with the balloon in his/her hands pops it.
- The students read the strip of paper with the place from a neighborhood and he/ she does mimics so their classmates guess the place around town he/she is referring to.
Task#1 (10 Mins)
- Teacher asks their students to turn on the cellphones, he sends a quizlet set using the whatsapp group.
- The quizlet is made up of places around town in one side and a picture that represents the place on the other side.
- Students using the quizlet, check the spelling and pronunciation of 15 words included there.
- Once they finished reviewing the vocabulary, they stand up and quiz each other by showing the picture include in the quizlet set and asking their partners “what’s this?”
Task #2 (10 Mins)
- Teacher asks students to pair up and read a short description of a community. Each group has a different reading.
- Then teacher asks them to highlight expression such as There is , there are, there isn’t and there aren’t
- Once they finished highlighting the expressions, they stand up for and talk to their classmates about the communities they read about. for example
- There is a park in Bagaces
- There is a hospital in Liberia
- There is a Walmart in Nicoya
Task: 10 Mins
- Students are sent a wordle that has places around town.
- Students check the wordle and identify the places found in their communities and think about sentences such as:
- “There is a university in Nicoya”
- “There are three supermarkets in Nicoya”
- Once they are ready, they stand up and talk to their classmates for a 30 seconds, they do that for three minutes
- Teacher sends them a google form with sentences to complete to see if students know the difference between there is and there are, for example:
- There ______________ a bank
- There ______________ a bank
Points to Think about
- Teacher uses technology at home so students use it in the classroom. If we want to integrate technology in the classroom, both teachers and students need to use it.
- Almost all tasks require that students stand up and interact with others.
- Most tasks are learner-centered tasks in which we can see students doing collaborative work and having peer to peer interaction.
- Since tasks are teacher-centered, a teacher can take notes without interrupting the interaction that students are having, he/ she can assess and provide feedback at the end of the class.
- Since the class lasts around 45 mins, the teacher focuses on 15 words and part of an structure that students can manage easily.
- Grammar is taught inductively through short texts.
- There is no lengthy explanation about grammar and introduction of vocabulary. Quizlet helps with spelling, pronunciation and meaning.
- All tasks use pretty much the same vocabulary and definitely the same structure.