We know that speaking is much more complex that teaching grammar and vocabulary because it involves the command of certain skills and several different types of knowledge.
To be able to communicate freely and with certain degree of proficiency, we have to consider the following features of speaking:
Speaking is part of our daily life, it has been said that active people speak at least ten thousand words a day.
We have to know that speech production takes place in real time therefore speech production is linear
Speech production is also spontaneous because planning time is very limited.
Articulation refers to the correct use of the organ of the speech to produce sounds. In English there are more than 40 phonemes that determine the meaning of a word.
Self Monitoring and Repair
Self monitoring and repair is a process that happens as we communicate. This usually leads to back tracking and rephrasing of an utterance
In language speaking terms, the automatization process means being able to draw on a set of memorized procedures in order to take part in real-time interaction.
Fluency in a language means speaking easily, reasonably quickly and without having to stop and pause a lot. Becoming fluent in a language can take many years.
How to Teach Speaking
- Black Friday Conversation Questions
- Getting to Know You Questions
- Conversation Questions about Family
- Nature Conversation Questions for ESL Students
- Hotel Conversation Questions
- How to Give Advice in English
- Thanksgiving Conversation Questions
- 50 Conversation Questions about Entertainment
- Conversation Questions about Careers and Jobs
- Social Networks Conversation Questions
- Conversation Questions about Computers
- Music Conversation Questions
- Mass Media Conversation Questions
- Science and Technology Questions
- 30 Brilliant Conversation Starters for the ESL Classroom
- School Conversation Questions
- Hotel Reservation Dialogues
- Neighborhood Conversation Questions
- ESL Conversation Questions: Have you ever…?
- Conversation Questions About Celebrities
- Holidays Conversation Questions
- Friends Conversation Questions
- ESL Conversations: Conditional Questions
- English Conversations about Movies
- English Conversations: Favorite Questions
- Sport Conversation Questions
- 100 Great Health Conversation Questions