We use the simple present tense to:
- Express Habits: I drink every weeked
- Speak about unchanging Situations: I work in Costa Rica
- Talk about general Truths: San Jose is the Capital of Costa Rica
- Express Arrangements: The exam starts at 9
Affirmative and Negative Statements
These are examples of affirmative and negative sentences using the simple present tense
|Positive Statements||Negative Statement|
|I have a lot of money||I don’t have any money|
|You love reading||You don’t love reading|
|He loves playing chess||He doesn’t love playing chess|
|She plays soccer||She doesn’t play soccer|
|We make food||We don’t make food|
|They watch movies||They don’t watch movies|
Simple Present: Third Person Singular
Verbs ending in ‘ss’ ‘ch’ ‘sh’ or ‘x’ add ‘es‘ to the end of the verb:
|Verb Ending||Verb||Third Person Singular|
|SS||Kiss||She kisses me|
|CH||Watch||She watches TV|
|x||Fax||He Faxes documents|
In the present tense, regular verbs are conjugated by adding an s in the third person singular
|Verb||Third Person Singular|
|dance||She always dances with me|
|clean||He always cleans his room|
|pay||She always pays her rent|
Present Simple Questions
To make questions, pay attention to this patters:
Do / Does + Pronoun / Subject + Verb+ predicate ?
|I run every day||Do I run every day?|
|You work from home||Do you work from home?|
|She plays socccer||Does she play soccer?|
|He makes dinner||Does he make dinner?|
|It works all the time||Does it work all the time?|
|They sleep in the couch||Do they sleep in the couch?|
|We owe them money||Do we owe them money?|
Simple Present and WH-Questions
To make simple present questions with WH-questions, pay attention to this patters:
Wh- Question + Do / Does + Pronoun / Subject + Verb+ predicate ?
|Where||Where do you play soccer?|
|Why||Why do you react like that?|
|What||What does she know about it?|
|When||When do you need that?|
|How||How do you run this business?|
|Which one||Which one does she prefer?|
Time Expressions used with the Simple Present
These are some time expression commonly used with the simple present
|All the time||Always||Every day|
|Sometimes||Every month||Every morning|
- I never go running when it raining.
- I usually play soccer twice a week.
- Sometimes I call my grandmother.
- I eat cereal every day.
- My mother always buys me a present for my birthday.
- I rarely hang out with my friends after classes.
- The shipment arrives tomorrow at 2 p.m.
- Does she always bake a cake in the afternoon?
- Do we have to eat cereal every morning?
- Do you have to go running tomorrow?
- Does he celebrate his christmas every year?
- Do you often cook for the whole family?
Present Simple and Tag Questions
A tag question is a special construction in English. It is a statement followed by a mini-question.
- You play video games at night, Don’t you?
- You don’t run every day, Do you?
- She studies in a foreign country, doesn’t he?
- She doesn’t have any children, does he?
- He likes to work here, doesn’t he?
- He doesn’t watch anime, does he?
- We don’t owe him money, do we?
Conversation Questions with the Simple Present
These are some examples of conversation questions with the simple present:
- Where do you live?
- What do you do?
- Where do you work?
- What type of movies do you like?
- What type of music do you like?
- Where do you like to go for fun?
- Do you have pets? What pets do you have?
- What do you like the most about the place where you live?
Simple Present Examples
James likes Soccer, He is a goalkeeper. James plays soccer every monday. His training starts at five o’clock.
After training, James goes home and he does his homework. He also plays video games and goes to bed around nine.
Simple Present Worksheets
- National Geographic Learning
- Worksheet- National Geographic
- Grammar: Present Tense
- Grammar Worksheet – Macmillan Inspiration
- MacMillan Inspiration
- Grammar Section: Present Tenses – Cambridge University Press