Table of Contents
How to Use Cuisenaire Rods to Teach English
Cuisenaire Rods are a set of colored rods usually of 1 centimeter cross section and of 10 lengths from 1 to 10 centimeters that are used for teaching number concepts and the basic operations of arithmetic
|Purple (or pink)||p||4|
|Brown (or “tan”)||t||8|
Cuisenaire Rods in the Language Classroom
Though primarily used for mathematics, they have also become popular in language-teaching classrooms.
They can be used to:
- Demonstrate most grammatical structures such as prepositions of place, comparatives & superlatives, determiners, tenses, adverbs of time, manner, etc.
- Show sentence and word stress, rising and falling intonation and word groupings
- Create a visual model of constructs, for example the English verb tense system .
Interested in Learning More?
These are some articles about the topic that you should check out
- donaldecherry’s channel on Youtube.com
- Using Cuisenaire rods with young learners on OneStopEnglish.com
- Cuisenaire rods in the language classroom on teachingenglish.org.uk
- Silent Way on teachingenglish.org.uk
- Silent Way on donaldcherry.com
- Holistic grammar with Cuisenaire rods on ilovetefl.wordpress.com
- Cuisenaire Rods on sandymillin.wordpress.com
You can check our latest articles about teaching reading
- 3 Stages for Teaching Reading
- 15 Examples of Pre-Reading Activities
- 10 Examples of While-Reading Activities
- 13 Examples of Post-Reading Activities
- What’s Free voluntary Reading?
- How to Find the Main Idea in 4 steps
You can check our latest articles about teaching listening