Riddles for the ESL Classroom
A riddle is generally a question devised so as to require clever or unexpected thinking for its answer. Riddles may be considered a form of brain teaser.
In general conversation, a riddle is usually presented to someone who knows that a riddle is being asked and accepts the challenge of guessing the correct response.
The guesser may get one or multiple guesses. Sometimes the asker gives clues, but sometimes the guesser just does the best she or he can.
There is usually one correct answer to a riddle, and it is common for the correct answer to be given, even if the guesser doesn’t think of it.
List Riddles for the ESL Classroom
- What month do soldiers hate?
- What falls often but never gets hurt?
- You are my brother, but I am not your brother. Who am I?
- What three letters change a girl into a woman?
- People buy me to eat, but never eat me. What am I?
- I can fly but have no wings. I can cry but I have no eyes. Wherever I go, darkness follows me. What am I?
- What has a neck, but no head?
- Feed me and I live, yet give me a drink and I die
- What comes down but never goes up?
- I’m tall when I’m young and I’m short when I’m old. What am I?
- What has hands but can not clap?
- What can’t be used until it’s broken?
- If I drink, I die. If i eat, I am fine. What am I?
- What travels around the world but stays in one spot?
- What can you catch but not throw?
- What is at the end of a rainbow?
- What has many keys but can’t open any doors?
- What are two things people never eat before breakfast?
- I am full of holes, I can hold water. What am I?
- How many people are buried in that cemetery?
- What teaches without talking?
- What gets wet when drying?
- What belongs to you but others use it more than you do?
- In what month do women talk the least?
- What word is always pronounced wrong?
- What begins with T, ends with T and has T in it?
- Everyone has it and no one can lose it, what is it?
- How many months have 28 days?
- I can speak all the languages of the world. What am I?
- I’m brown on the outside. I’m white on the inside. I’m hard and you can eat or drink me. I’m hairy. I grow in hot countries.
- Every country has one. I have different colors. I need wind to fly.
- I’m a beautiful animal. I’m found in Africa. I have the first and last letters of the alphabet in my name. I’m like a horse. I’m striped.
- What word begins with E, ends with E and has one letter?
- I’m very, very big.I like to eat peanuts and hay.I have four legs and two big ears.My long nose is called a trunk. What am I ?
- What can travel around the world while staying in a corner?
- I’m tall when I’m young, I’m short when I’m old. What am I?