The Present Perfect is used to indicate a link between the present and the past.
The time of the action is before now but not specified, and we are often more interested in the result than in the action itself.
Affirmative and Negative Sentence
|I have danced before||I haven’t danced before|
|You have been here twice||You haven’t been here|
|She has kissed me||She hasn’t kissed me yet|
|He has made dinner here yet||He hasn’t made dinner here yet|
|It has happened before||It hasn’t happened yet|
|We have robbed before||We haven’t done anything illegal|
|They have done their homework||They haven’t done their homework|
Check how these question are made in the follow chart.
|Wh-Question||Has / Have||Pronoun||Past Particple|
Present Perfect with For and Since
For and since are commonly used with the present perfect tense.
We use for to talk about a period of time.
- I haven’t smoked for weeks
- I haven’t done anything illegal for months
- I haven’t paid my taxes for years, I might go to jail.
We use since to talk about a specific point in time, or a time when the action started.
- I haven’t smoked since 2010.
- I haven’t done anything illegal since last September
- I haven’t paid my taxes since 2011
Present Perfect: Just, Still, Yet and Already
Yet is used to talk about something which is expected to happen
- You haven’t finished your homework yet
- I haven’t called her yet
- She hasn’ t eaten yet
- he hasn’t called the doctor yet
Just means ‘a short time ago’.
- Jena has just called
- Liam has just finished his performance
- I have just cleaned this floor
- Dad’s just washed up.
- The football game has just begun
Still is used to talk about something that hasn’t finished
- The bus still hasn’t come
- I still haven’t finished my homework..
- I still haven’t done that
Already is used to say that something has happened early
- I’ve already wasted all the lottery money
- The bus has already left
- I have already done the chores.
- Have you already eaten?
- Have the kids already eaten their lunch?
- I’ve already called the doctor.