How to Prepare for a Job Interview in English
A job interview is an interview consisting of a conversation between a job applicant and a representative of an employer which is conducted to assess whether the applicant should be hired.
Interviews are one of the most popularly used devices for employee selection
Most Common Interview Questions
These are the most common questions that will help you prepare for a Job Interview
- Can you tell me a little about yourself?
- How did you hear about the position?
- What type of work environment do you prefer?
- What are you looking for in a new position?
- What do you know about the company?
- Why do you want this job?
- Why were you fired?
- Why should we hire you?
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- How do you deal with pressure or stressful situations?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- What are your salary requirements?
- Do you have any questions for us?
- Can you list your strengths?
- What weaknesses do you have?
- Why do you want this job?
Types of Employees Benefits and Perks
- Work Breaks: Breaks provided for rest.
- Meal Breaks: Breaks provided to eat a meal.
- Vacation leave: Time for vacations every year.
- Severance Pay: Money given to you given to employees upon termination of employment.
- Pay Raise: A pay increase based on goals and achievements.
- Paid Holidays: Extra payment for having to work on a holiday.
- Maternity Leave: paid or unpaid time off from work after the birth.
- Paternity Leave: paid or unpaid time off from work after the birth.
- Hazard Pay: Extra compensation for performing dangerous duties.
- Compensation time: Monety paid for working overtime.
- Retirement Benefits: Funds or pensions when you finish your career
- Health Insurance: Medical services offered to employees and their families.
- Life Insurance: Insurance that protects your family if you die.
- Company car: Vehicle given to employees who are always on the move.
- Flexible Schedule: You don’t have to work long hours.
- Christmas Bonus: Extra payment given on Christmas
- School Bonus: Extra payment given at the beginning of the year
Expressions to use with Work Benefits
- This company offers:
- This company offers many benefits such as:
How to Prepare for a Job Interview – Lesson Plan
- Students play the hangman to figure out class topic for today.
- Code: hhfafderhlhb
- code: hbtacafrhlhb
- Teacher shows presentation in which benefits are described visually, student use a list of words and use it to identify the benefit. Then Teacher gives a list of the definitions so they can indicate what benefit the sentence is describing. Teacher takes some time to reinforce pronunciation of new words. (20 Mins)
- Students are given a list of benefits and qualifications, they have to categorize them and then they have to make a sentence with them. (20 Mins)
- Teacher plays a youtube video called Top 10 Job Interview Do’s and Don’ts and they watch the video in order to reorder the advices from 1 to 10 according to the order in which they are presented, after that the teacher gives a worksheet in which they have to complete with key vocabulary from the video then Students are given a list of do’s and don’t and students have to classify them (30 Mins)
- Students are given some interview questions, they have to read it and answer the questions, then they practice the questions with a partner. (20 Mins)
Main Task (30 Mins)
- Class is divided in two groups
- Half of the group creates a fictional company and think about the following questions
- Name of the company
- Position they offer
- Benefits they offer
- Other questions such as the schedule
- The other half prepare themselves to ask questions to the human resource managers in differente stands
Post- Task (30 Mins)
- Students take some time and together they complete a kahoot quiz.
- Teacher takes some times to cover pronunciation and grammar problems
For more task-based lesson plans, this is the place where you should go: Task-Based Lesson Plans
How To Write a Resume in English
Preparing your resume
What to include in a resume
- Information section : Name , address , email address, phone number
- Resume Objective
- Work Experience
- Volunteer Activities
What not to include in a resume
- Irrelevant job experience
- Physical characteristics
- strange hobbies
- marital status
- private matters
- unprofessional contact information
- sensitive information
- number of children
Follow EnglishPost.org on Facebook
You can check our latest articles in any of these pages:
Check these pages and sites before you go:
- English Lessons on EnglishPost.Org
- English Grammar Lessons on Englishpost.org
- ESL Conversation Questions