How to Make Requests in English
When we make requests, we ask someone for something, or we ask someone to do something. There are different ways of asking for something. We usually ask for something in a polite and indirect way
Grammar Structures to Make Requests
Expressions with Could
- Could you give me a hand?
- Could you help me with this problem?
- Could you carry this for me please?
Expressions with Can
- Can I have the menu?
- Can you pass me the newspaper?
- Can you buy the ticket for me?
Expressions with Will
- Will you carry this for me?
- Will you take my daughter home?
- Will you send me that important document?
Very Direct Requests
- I need some help
- I need you to go to my office
- I want to go to the hospital
- I want to go running
How to Make Polite Requests
Expressions with Would
- Would you like to go to the club?
- Would you like to help me please?
- Would you like to buy some groceries for me?
Expressions with Would you Mind
- Would you mind closing the door?
- Would you mind paying for my lunch?
- Would you mind turning off the radio?
Expressions with Do you Think you Could
Making a Request Conversation
John: Hi, Do you need any help?
Luis: Thanks for asking, can you help me with this homework?
John: Sure, no problem but I don’t know much about math
Luis: Would you mind asking Dereck if he could help us?
John: Yeah, sure, can you send me his phone number?
Luis: Alrighty, check your whatsapp
Task-Based Lesson – How to Make Requests
- Students make groups of 4
- They are given strips of paper with some phrases
- They have to put them in order
- Students are given one scrambled request or answers in a strip of paper
- They have to unscrambld the request or answer .
- When they are all ready, they move around the classroom asking the question and listening the answer from their classmates until they found the answer.
- Students are sent a wordle with key vocabulary.
- They can make questions or answers using the word included in it.
- Students are sent three different collages
- Students make pairs
- They choose one of the collages and make questions with them
- Student make groups of 3 and they prepare a dialogue
- The dialogue must include greetings, introduction, request and a farewell
- Students answer this online quiz
How to Make Requests
Choose the best answer that completes the statement or question