When we make requests, we ask someone for something, or we ask someone to do something. There are different ways of asking for something. We usually ask for something in a polite and indirect way
Grammar Structures to Make Requests
Expressions with Could
- Could you give me a hand?
- Could you help me with this problem?
- Could I have my bill please?
- Could you carry this for me please?
Expressions with Can
- Can I have the menu?
- Can you pass me the newspaper?
- Can she sit next to me?
- Can you buy the ticket for me?
Expressions with Will
- Will you carry this for me?
- Will you go take my daughter home?
- Will you send me that important document?
Very Direct Requests
- I need some help
- I need you to go to my office
- They need a medic right now
How to Make Polite Requests
Expressions with Would
- Would you like to go to the club?
- Would you like to help me please?
- Would you like to buy some groceries for me?
Expressions with Would you Mind
- Would you mind closing the door?
- Would you mind paying for my lunch?
- Would you mind turning off the radio?
Expressions with Do you Think you Could
- Do you think you could come here?
- Do you think you could do that job?
- Do you think you could do me that favor?
- You wouldn’t drop this into the bank for me, would you?
- You couldn’t drop by the school, could you?
How to Reply to a Request
Making a Request Conversation
Linda: Excuse me. Could I borrow your car for a moment?
Sash: Sorry, but my car is already running out of gas
Linda: That’s alright.
Linda: (to another person) Would you mind taking me to the bookshop, please?
Manny: Sure, no problem. My car is over there.
Linda: Thank you
John: Hi, Do you need any help?
Luis: Thanks for asking, can you help me with this homework?
John: Sure, no problem but I don’t know much about math
Luis: Would you mind asking Dereck if he could help us?
John: Yeah, sure, can you send me his phone number?
Luis: Alrighty, check your whatsapp
Choose the best answer that completes the statement or question Question Your answer: Correct answer:
How to Make Requests
Choose the best answer that completes the statement or question
If you need a lesson plan to teach about how to make requests and offer help in English, make sure to visit this How to Make Request and Offer Help Task-Based Lesson Plan