How to Talk about Places Around Town
Places in Town Vocabulary
|bus stop||Bus terminal|
|bus station||taxi stop|
|subway station||parking lot|
|Train station||gas station|
|Police Department||Fire Department|
|City Hall||Town Hall|
|Amusement Park||Water Park|
Places to Eat
|Pizzeria||fast food restaurant|
|Shopping Center||Shopping Mall|
|Department Store||Shoe store|
|Fitness Center||Tennis court|
|Maternity House||Health Center|
|Day care center||Campus|
|Rental Agency||Real State Agency|
|Repair Shop||Service Station|
Prepositions of place
- besides to
- next to
- infront of
- across from
- around the corner from
- on main street
- on the second floor
- at 415 main street
Description of places
How to Talk about Places Around Town – Lesson Plan
First day Routine:
- Teacher introduces himself/ herself using a powerpoint presentation, he/she talks a bit his likes in music, movies and anime.
- Teacher ask students to send a whatsapp message to his/her number and then he/she sends an invitation link so they can join the group
- Once the group is created, teacher sends a google form with personal information so students can interview each other.
- Teacher talks about the contents and the evaluation of the course.
- Teacher sends the information to their email addresses.
- Teacher plays some songs and students pass around a balloon.
- When the music stops, the student with the balloon in her hands has to introduce the classmate he/she has to introduce himself /herself.
- Teacher distributes strips of paper of the lyrics of a song called “Good Life” by One Republic
- Students have to make groups and arrange the song
This activity is to introduce vocabulary and reinforce new vocabulary
- Teacher sends a TinyCard Set about places.
- Students make pairs and quiz their classmate by asking a question about the new vocabulary
- They switch places and quiz other students
The aim of this task is to help students familiarize with the expressions to talk about what you can find a city.
- Students make groups of 5, they are given a set of scrambled sentences and they have to arrange the words so the sentence makes sense .
- Each member of the group is given a set of 3 sentences, once they finished
- Students gather with other students that have the same set and make sure they have the same answers.
- Teacher plays a video,students listen to it
- Teacher plays the video one more time and students answer this online quiz
- Teacher introduces how to make polite questions using do you know? could you tell me? can you tell me?
- Teacher sends different maps that students need and they describe those places to their classmates.
- Students make group of 5.
- Students have to create a collage, the collage must be about 10 places they can find in the nearest city.
- Students have to know where those 10 places are located.
Once the groups are finished, a member of each group join a group and they ask question to each other about the places in their collages.
- Students are sent this video
- They analyze it and they have to make groups of 3 and create one similar.
- Teacher reviews the vocabulary by doing an exercise online with the students