How to Teach English
The primary purpose of listening is:
- Information gathering
The types of listening can be categorized in the following ways:
- Listening for Gist
- Listening for Specific Information
- Listening in Detail
- Inferential Listening
What Makes Listening Difficult?
- Characteristics of the message
- Characteristics of the delivery
- Characteristic of the listenener
- Characteristic of the environment
How to Teach Listening Comprehension
How to teach listening is a great resouces of ideas to learn how to become a better teacher of listener, these are some questions that you can think about as you go thorugh the book “How to Teach Listening “
Unit #1 : Listening in the world and language learning
- How can we categorize the different types of listening?
- What are the four general difficulties categories?
- What’s the bottom-up approach to listening?
- What’s the top-down approach to listening?
- Why do people should listen to English?
- What’s the input hypothesis?
- What’s comprehensible input?
- What are the sixth mixth of teaching listening and learning english?
- What’s schemata?
Unit #2 : Listening texts and Listening strategies
- What makes a good listening text in term of content?
- What makes a good listening text in term of delivery?
- What are three differences between authentic and scripted listening?
- What are the two modes how listening input comes to the classroom?
- What are the three groups in which listening strategies can be divided?
- What are the two types of conversation?
Unit #3 : Listening sources , Listening tasks
- What is better video or audio and why?
- What is a guest speaker
- What is the meaning of TTT and TTQ?
- What are the different sources of listening?
- What are some characteristic of good listeners?
- What are the benefits of using film clips?
- What are the benefits of using the internet
- What’s podcasting?
- What are some type of comprehension exercises?
Unit #4 : Pre-listening skills and activities
- What are six practical way to activate schemata?
- What does the learner need to know before they listen to a recording?
- How does the teacher need to be a tour guide during a listening task?
- How does the teacher need to be a spy during a listening task?
- What questions do I have to ask myself during the pre-listening stage?
- What are the three stages or part in a listening sequence ?
- What is realia?
- What are high-order and low–order questions?
- What are three things to avoid durig the pre-listening stage?
Unit #5 : While-listening skills and activities
- What is picture dictation?
- What is dictogloss?
- What are some techniques for note-taking ?
- What’s inferring?
- What are two example of listening for detail activities?
- What is listening for gist?
- Why should we use listening activities ?
- What is running dictation?
- What are two listen and do activites that you would like to try?
Unit #6 : Post-listening skills and activities
- What are some reasons to exploit texts?
- What are some creative response activity and explain with your own words one of them?
- What discussion technique would you like to try? Support your answer
- What is a summarizing technique that you would like to try ? Support your answer
- What are four examples of reconstruction activities?
Unit #7 : Post-listening skills and activities
- What are the two types of planning?
- What is a reason to adapt a published material?
- What type of adaptation can be done to a listening sequence?
- What are three sources of authentic material?
- How can we exploit a film or TV?
- What are some different ways to create your own authentic material?
- What are some good suggestions when teaching young learners to listen in English?
Unit #8 : Listening in a wider context
- What is integrated listening?
- What are the four different types of assesment?
- What’s test validity?
- What’s test reliability?
- What are three things teacher should when assessing listening?
- How do you encourage students to listen outside the classroom?
- What are three ways to become a better teacher of listening?
How to Teach Listening
These are some of the post about Teaching Listening. This list includes essential information to develop a listening lesson successfully.
- Top Down and Bottom up Processing
- What Types of Listening are There?
- 12 Types of Pre-Listening Activities
- Teaching Listening: 12 Examples of While-Listening Activities
- Listening for Gist and Detail
- 10 Types of Post-Listening Activities for the ESL Classroom.
- 7 Creative Ways to Teach English Through Songs
- 10 Factors to Consider When Choosing Listening Materials
- 10 Mistakes To Avoid When Preparing and Teaching Listening Lessons
- The 3 Stages of a Listening Lesson
Listening exercises included in Englishpost.org
- Listening Exercises about Family
- Listening Exercises: The Summer Music Festival
- English Lessons: Holidays in Costa Rica
- Listening Exercises: How To Make a Restaurant Reservation
Looking for the Listening Practice Through Dictation Book? You can find it here