How to Ask for Personal Information
- Students play charades using key verbs that can be used when people ask for personal information.
#1 Ask students to complete these questions (American English File 2, Unit 1A, Page 5)
- Where _______you from?
- Where_________ you born?
- Where do you _____________?
- Do you _____________in a house or an apartment?
- Do you________________ any brothers or sisters?
- Do you________________ any pets?
- What do you _____________?
- Where do you __________?
- Do you____________ your job?
- What school / college do you _____________ to?
- What year ____________you in?
- What kind of music do you _____________to?
- Do you ____________ a musical instrument? which one?
- What TV shows do you ___________?
- Do you p_____________ any sports? which ones?
- What kind of books and magazines do you ___________?
- How often do you ____________ to the movies
- What did you do ______________ weekend?
#2 Now, review their answers by asking students to read the questions aloud. Focus on correct pronunciation.
#3 Now that classmates don’t have any questions about the pronunciation, ask them to make those questions to a classmate.
#4 Once they finished interviewing a classmate, they have to interview another classmate.
#5 After students have interviewed two classmates, they report what they learned about one of the classmates they interviewed
#7 Now, ask students to write a set of 3 to 5 questions that haven’t been covered in the previous activities.
# 8 Now students ask those questions to their classmates, one student ask a question to a classmate and that classmate ask a question to another classmate until they all finish their set of questions.
- Now students are going to write in their notebooks 7 yes or no questions and a follow-up question for each yes or no questions they made such as:
- Do you drink coffee? How many cups of coffee do you drink a day?
- Did you go out last night? Where di you go?
- Did you watch soccer last week? What game did you watch?
- Do you like movies? what was the last movie you watched?
- They ask those questions to their classmates and communicate as much as they can. Students make the follow up questions only if a classmate responds affirmatively to the first question.
Students are going to ask common questions, they have 5 questions in the American File 2, Unit 1A, page 5.
- Do you usually get in touch with your friends by phone, email or facebook?
- Do you have an IPOD, Mp3 Player ? what Kind?
- Do you often watch DVD’S? What kind?
- Do you watch ESPN, CNN or MTV?
- Do you have any friends from the US?
They have to write 5 more questions related to entertainment and interview their classmates and note down any similarities with answer given by their partners.
- Teacher explains some key phonetic sounds so students learn to discriminate sounds. (American English File 2, 1.5 and 1.6)
- Students listen to a recording and complete some statements. (American English File 2, 1.7)
If you want to check other task-based lesson plans, make sure that you visit my page for task-based lesson plans