How to Describe Appearance and Personality
How to Describe People Examples
- I used to be shy butI am not shy anymore
- I used to be skinny, Now I am fat and happy
- I was responsible when I was in highschoo
- I was very friendly when I was a teenager now I am a bit shy
- I used to be the smartest in class
- I am the shortest guy here
- She is the most responsible classmate
- I consider myself a positive person.
Lesson Plan – How to Describe Appearance and Personality
- Students are shown a picture with 6 famous celebrities, they are described orally and students have to find out which one I am talking about
- Student find 6 pictures and create a collage with their favorite celebrities and describe them.
- Students listen to track 1.9 from the American English File 2, Page 6 and note down the description of her appearance and personality
- short dark hair
- curly hait
- brown eyes
- beautiful smile
- Students listen to track 1.14 from the American English File 2, Page 7 and write down the adjectives to describe appearance and personality.
- good sense of humour
- nice smile
- Students listen to track 1.15 from the American English File 2, Page 7 and write down the adjectives to describe appearance and personality
- short blond hair
- blue eyes
- Students read the article who knows you better- your mother or your best friend? from the American English File 2, Page 6 and complete the exercises.
- Student compare people’s physical appearance of the following people (Review comparative and superlatives if you have to)
- Student make comparisons of family members. They compare aspects such as:
- student are given a list of words transcribed phonetically and they have to figure out what these words say.
- Student write words using specific words included in a wordle. The wordle is created using worditout.com
- She is beautiful
- I am talkative
- She is extroverted
- She has a beautiful smile
- He has green eyes
- I have blond hair
- We have short hair
- He is very good-looking
- I am an outgoing person
- He is shy and quiet
Lesson Plan: How to Describe People
Schema Activation (10 Mins)
Teacher is going to play the hot potato with a balloon
- Students make a circle and the teacher gives the first student the balloon
- He plays some awesome songs while students pass the balloon around
- Awesome music stops, students with the balloon has to answer a question, the question is inside the balloon.
- Teacher plays the game two or three times.
Pre-Task (90 Mins)
Task#1 (30 Mins)
Reinforce vocabulary, spelling and pronunciation by playing this bingo
- Students review vocabulary using a quizlet set, they check the vocabulary with a partner
- they ask question by asking
- how do you say…?
- Teacher creates a bingo using my freebingocards.com
- Teacher sends the link to every student so everyone plays from the phone.
Task#2 (20 Mins)
Talk in the past and present about physical appearance and personality traits
- Teacher creates a survey.
- Students answer the survey themselves .
- Students interview a classmate
- After 5 mins, they switch seats and interview another classmate
Task#3 (40 Mins)
Listening for details
- Teacher introduces key words that students might find in the video.
- Teacher gives students to listen to a dialogue and note down words they hear
- Now students listen to some statements and they identify if those statement were made by a man or a woman
- students verify the answers with the answer given by another partner.
- Now students listen again and note down some of the questions they made in the video. They create a dialogue using those questions as a reference.
Main Task (40 Mins)
Describe personality traits and physical characteristics.
- Students are given options, they pick a celebrity from the options.
- They analyze and study the characteristic of their characters.
- When they feel ready, they go and introduce themselves as if they were those celebrities
- They move around the classroom and introduces themselves a couple of times.
Post-Task (40 Mins)
- Teacher reinforces accuracy in pronunciation and grammar based on the problems heard while monitoring the activities
- Students make groups and make a small circle, they think about two of their physical characteristics. They have to record all sentences.