Table of Contents
Guessing Meaning from Context
Guessing Meaning from Context means work out what it means from the words that are around it and from the topic of the paragraph.
Types of Context Clues
Context clues are words or phrases in the sentence or paragraph that help the reader to figure out the meaning of the unknown word.
A synomym is a word or phrase that means the same or is very similar to another word.
- I was hunting in the forest and I shot two deers
Examples and Definitions
Examples can inform the reader about unknown words. They can illustrate the meaning of the word that they refer to.
- Slammer is an example of a computer virus
Antonyms and Contrast
Antonyms are words that mean the opposite of other words. Antonyms can refer to the opposed idea of an unknown word in the sentence or paragraph.
- The Fire kept me dry and warm because I was soaked
Download worksheet here
Follow EnglishPost.org on Facebook
You can check our latest articles in any of these pages:
Check these pages and sites before you go:
- English Lessons on EnglishPost.Org
- English Grammar Lessons on Englishpost.org
- ESL Conversation Questions