Do and Does
We use Do and Does to make questions in English. We put do or does at the beginning of the sentence.
How to Make Questions with Do
We use do at the beginning of the sentence when we make yes or no questions.
Do is used with the pronouns; I , you, we, they
|I run a lot||Do I run a lot?|
|You play soccer||Do you play soccer?|
|We drink milk||Do we drink milk?|
|They like the beach||Do they like the beach?|
How to Make Questions with Does
We use does at the beginning of the sentence when we make yes or no questions and we are using the pronouns she, he or it ( Third Person Singular)
|She runs a lot||Does she run a lot?|
|He dances very well||Does he dance really well?|
|It barks a lot||Does it bark a lot?|
Wh-Questions with Do and Does
The Wh-questions are the following:
To make wh-questions with Do and Does, we have to stick with the pattern describe above.
|Wh-question||Do / Does||Pronoun||Verb|
Examples of Wh-Questions with Do
- Where do you live?
- Why do they work?
- What do we need?
- What do you do?
- What movies do they like?
- What music do you like?
Examples of Wh-Questions with Does
- What does she live?
- Why does he work?
- What does the dog need?
- What does she do?
- What type of movies does she like?
- What type of music does he like?
Short Answers with Do and Does
The negative form of do is do not. It’s contracted form is don’t and it is used with the pronouns; I, you, we and they.
- I do not like sports.
- They don’t like sports.
- We don’t like Sports
The negative form of does is does not. The contracted form of does not is doesn’t. and it is used with the pronouns; she, he and it.
- He does not like sports
- She does’t like sports
- Maria doesn’t like sports
|Do I need a bag?||Yes, you do.||No, you don’t.|
|Do you need a pen?||Yes, I do.||No, I don’t.|
|Do you guys dance well?||Yes, we do.||No, we don’t.|
|Do they need my money?||Yes, they do.||No, they don’t.|
|Does he like soft drinks?||Yes, he does.||No, he doesn’t.|
|Does she want to play?||Yes, she does.||No, she doesn’t.|
|Does it bark at night?||Yes, it does.||No, it doesn’t.|
Conversation Questions with Do
These are some conversations questions with do and does:
Questions with Do
- Do you believe in God?
- Do you believe in Ghost?
- What do you think about marihuana legalization?
- What do you think about abortion?
- What do you like the most about your husband /wife?
- What do you like the most about your boyfriend/ girlfriend?
- What do you do to have fun?
- What do you uually do on the weekends?
- Do you like to do exercises? What exercises do you like to do?
- What movies and TV shows do you like to do?
- Do you have many friends?
- Do you like pets?
- Do you have a dog or a cat?
Questions with Does
- What does your mother do?
- What does your father do?
- What does your wife do?
- What does your husband do?
- Where does your sister study?
- Where does your brother study?
The Verb To Do
Let’s remember that do and does are used as verbs in sentences.
- I do the homework after I come from school
- You do exercises to get in a better shape
- She does yoga every morning
- He does all the right things
- We do 100 squats in the morning
- They do what they want
Time for Practice: Do and Does
Grammar Exercises: Do or Does
Before you go, these are two pages that you should check out before you go:
- English Lessons on Englishpost.org
- Grammar Lessons on Englishpost.org
- Best English Dictionary – Cambridge Online Dictionary