The Monkey’s Paw
The Monkey’s Paw is a supernatural short story by author W. W. Jacobs first published in England in 1902.
The story involves Mr. and Mrs. White and their adult son, Herbert. Sergeant-Major Morris, a friend of the Whites who has been part of the British Army in India, introduces them to the monkey’s paw, telling of its mysterious powers to grant three wishes and of its journey from an old fakir to his comrade, who used his third wish to wish for death.
Sergeant-Major Morris, having had a bad experience upon using the paw, throws the monkey’s paw into the fire but White quickly retrieves it.
Morris warns White, but White, thinking about what the paw could be used for, ignores him. Mr. White wishes for £200 to be used as the final payment on his house.
Where to Buy the Monkey’s Paw Book?
You can buy the Monkey’s Paw Book on Amazonamzn_assoc_tracking_id = “wptico-20”; amzn_assoc_ad_mode = “manual”; amzn_assoc_ad_type = “smart”; amzn_assoc_marketplace = “amazon”; amzn_assoc_region = “US”; amzn_assoc_design = “enhanced_links”; amzn_assoc_asins = “1515142337”; amzn_assoc_placement = “adunit”; amzn_assoc_linkid = “44d75f8f7a2bda7d5d6a8be958b64e67”;
The Monkey’s Paw is a 2013 American horror film based on the short story of the same name by author W. W. Jacobs. The film revolves around Jake Tilton who receives a mysterious monkey’s paw talisman which grants him three wishes. The film was directed by Brett Simmons, written by Macon Blair and produced by Ross Otterman for TMP Films, and is a Chiller Films presentation.
The film was released in theaters and video on demand on October 8, 2013, and received mostly negative reviews.
Read the statement and Choose what character said or did this
- Sergeant-Major Morris
- Herbert White
- Who threw the paw into the fire?____________________
- Who came for a visit?:_____________________________________
- Who was a soldier?_______________________________________
- Who wished for the two thousand pounds?_________________________
- Who died in a machinery accident?________________________________
- Who said the second with?_____________________________________
- Who said this:
- “Well, wish for two hundred pounds”:_________________________
- “If you keep it, don’t blame me for what happens”:___________________
- “Well don’t break into the money before I come back,”:_________________
- “You’re afraid of your own son”:____________________
Resources for Analysis
- Story (AmericanLiterature.com)
- Summary and Analysis (Shmoop.com)
- Summary and Analysis (SparkNotes.com)
The Monkey’s Paw PDF
These are some articles related to English Language Learning and Teaching