Ebola Virus Disease
Ebola is spreading itself across Western Africa. Every day many people are dying from it, including doctors who are treating their patients. Recently yet another doctor died in Liberia, despite taking an experimental anti-Ebola drug.The drug called ZMapp has been credited with helping several patients recover, including two US doctors. So far this year four West African countries –Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Liberia and Guinea – have seen 2,615 confirmed cases and 1,427 deaths from Ebola. Liberia has seen the most deaths –more than 570 – in what is the worst Ebola outbreak in history. Ebola is spread between humans through direct contact with infected body fluids. Several doctors and health workers have died. It is one of the world’s deadliest diseases, with up to 90% of cases resulting in death, although with the current outbreak the death rate is about 55%. Symptoms of the virus include a sudden high fever, a headache, a sore throat, intense weakness, muscle pain, bleeding and central nervous system damage. There is no vaccine or cure. The Liberian capital Monrovia has enforced a quarantine zone in a slum area where the disease is spreading. Senegal has now locked down its land border with its Ebola-affected neighbour Guinea. Many foreign nationals are now beginning to evacuate from countries that have the disease out of for fear of catching it.
Ebola Virus Disease Practice
Read the definitions and find words in the reading
- an infective agent that is too small to be seen______________________________
- : _____________________________
Ebola Virus Disease – Questions
- How Does Ebola spread?
- What are the symptoms of Ebola?
- What’s the most affected African country?
- What measures has some countries taken?
True or False
Mark if these statements true or fdal
- Ebola doesn’t have any potential to spread to another country_____
- Ebola can cause death_____
- Ebola can’t cause death doctors ________
- Ebola is transmited between animals such as monkey and rats________
- Countries in Africa are not worried about Ebola spreading to neighnboring countries____