Describe Past Events
Most Common Verbs in English
- Last week
- Last year
- Last sunday
- Last monday
- Last month
- The other day
- Three week ago
- Two years ago
- When I was a teenager
- When I was in highschool
- The day before yesterday
- I went to the beach
- I had breakfast by the pool
- I took a plane to Boston
- I saw monkeys at the national park
- I moved to another country
- I played soccer with some friends
Describe Future Events
To talk about future events, you can use three grammar structures
We use will to talk about rapid decisions and predictions
- I will go to the beach
- I will graduate from university
- I will buy a car
Going To / Gonna
- I am gonna visit Hawaii next month
- I am going to play soccer on tuesday
- I am gonna travel around Europe
- I am teaching a class next month
- I am visiting my month next week
- I am taking a break from work
- Next year
- Next week
- Next Month
- This afternoon
- In the future
How to Describe Past and Future Events – Lesson Plan
Set things Up (15 Mins)
These activities might vary if this is not your first class with them
- Introduce yourself using a Powerpoint Presentation.
- Create a whatsapp group or give contact details to students.
- Let students introduce themselves by interviewing each other using a Google Form.
- Explain chronogram and evaluations.
- Explain how to Use Moodle and How to do the homeworks
Schema Activation (15 Mins)
- Students are divided in three groups.
- Each group picks a member to represent the group.
- Each group member has 1 minute to check little pieces of paper with verbs, he or she has to do mimics so their team member guess the verb.
- The team with more guesses wins.
- Students make groups of four to five people.
- Teacher shows the music video of Castle on the Hill.
- Students make a list of words that come to their minds as they see the music video.
- They are given a list of words and they have to check if the words are sung or not.
- Once they finished, we check the official lyrics video from the song
Task#1 (10 Mins)
- TTeacher introduces briefly the 3 ways to talk about the future in English.
- Students make group of 3
- Students are given a list of 12 scrambled sentences.
- Students unscramble the sentences and corroborate if the answers are right with their classmates.
Task #2 ( 30 Mins)
- Students are given a speaking card with questions about the past and future
- Students take some time to answer the questions, they receive feedback on grammar and practice pronunciation as they do so.
- Students choose a partner and have a 3 minutes chats with that partner
- They switch partners every three minutes, they do the activities at least three times
Task #3 (30 Mins)
- Students make pairs
- Student read the sentences and indicate if the sentences are true or false for themselves
- Student correct the sentences so they are true for themselves.
Main Task (30 Mins)
Main Objective: To maximize speaking by promoting peer to peer interaction
- Students choose past events in their own lives.
- They note down main ideas only about past events from childhood, school, highschool and University
- Once they are ready, they start talking about past events to their classmates
- They switch places with another student after every three minutes
Post-Task (30 Mins)
- Teacher gives feedback to students about aspects such as pronunciation and grammar
- Class finishes with a quiz using Kahoot, Quizziz or Goconqr