Classroom Seating Arrangements
Classroom Seating Arrangement is defined as the physical setup of chairs, tables, and presentation in a classroom that can influence learning.
Authors suggests that Classroom Seating Arrangement can impact:
- How instructors communicate with students.
- How learners interact with one another.
Experience Teachers indicate that say that a classroom arrangement should allow instructors:
- get around the classroom quickly and frequently
- check the students’ work
Variety of Classroom Seating Arrangements
- Horseshoe or Semicircle
- Double Horseshoe
- Pair Pods
- Group Pods
Factors that Influence Classroom Seating Arrangements
- Classroom Size: Your preferred classroom seating arrangement can only be applied if you have the appropiate space and school furniture.
- Distractions: It is important that your classroom seating arrangements can keep students from getting distracted.
- Student’s Age: It is not the same teaching adults than teaching teenagers and childrens that have disruptive behavior so your classroom seating arrangement will depend on the students that you have in your classes.
- Class Size: There are teachers who have to teach large classes so they have to be creative if they want to keep their preferred desk setting.
- Teaching Styles and Objectives: If you teach classes in which students are required to have some sort of interaction, you won’t expect to maximize speaking by having students separated from one another. Choose the classroom arrangement that support your teaching style and objectives.