How to Give Directions Inside Buildings
- Go forward
- turn left/ right at the corner
- walk along
- walk straight ahead
- take the elevator
- go in
- go out
- go through
- it’s right here
- it’s on your right /left
- it’s the second door on your right
Prepositions of Place
- next to
- in front of
- across from
Places Inside the Building
|Copy Center||Lunch room|
Asking for Direction inside a Building
- Where is the computer room?
- Where is the public telephone?
- Excuse, where are the restrooms?
- Can you tell me where the public telephone is?
- How do you get to the ATM?
- Do you know where English class is?
- Please tell me the directions to the elevator
- What are the directions to the Administration Office
- What is the way to the gym?
- I’m looking for the library
- How do I go to the Cafeteria?
- How can I get to the clothing store?
- The restaurant is at the end of the hallway to the right.
- The elevators are straight ahead on the left
- The stairway is around the corner over there.
- -Go along the corridor / hall.
- Turn right at the end of the hall.
- Take the stairs down to the basement
- Go through the door.-
- It’s just through / past / after the door.
- Take the elevator up to the top floor.
- Go up to the fifth fl oor.
- Go straight ahead.
Dialogue: Give Locations Inside a Hotel
- Receptionist: Good Morning, How can I help you?
- Guest: Can you tell me where the bar is?
- Receptionist: It is near the dance room
- Guest: Could you tell me how to get to the bar?
- Receptionist: The bar is on the second floor. Please go straight along the hallway. Take the escalator up one floor. The bar is on your left.
- Guest: Thanks a lot
- Receptionist: You are welcome
Lesson Plan – Giving Directions Inside Buildings
- Students are given strips of paper with sentences said by a receptionist or guest.
- Students have to get together with 6 other students who have strips of paper with different sentences.
- They get together and arrange the dialogue.
- Student s make groups of 4
- Each one of the students is given a scrambled sentence
- They have to reorder the sentences to create a question
- Once they finished, they check the answer together.
- Teacher provides students with a quizlet set so they can check the meaning of key vocabulary and its pronunciation.
- Student use the quizlet set and make questions to their classmates with the vocabulary studied
- What’s the meaning of …?
- How do you say __________ in English?
- Students are sent a video and they have to complete a worksheet in which they have to listen for the following details.
- What’s the person looking for?
- What’s the direction inside the building?
- Students are given a sheet of paper with a map of a building, they have to ask questions to their partners and they have to give the directions. They switch places after one minute
- Students give directions to their classmates about the places inside the school facility they study
- They are going to record those directions
- Students answer a quiz online to cover the grammar and vocabulary related to the lesson.