Realism is an approach that attempts to describe life as it is without idealization or romantic subjectivity
- Writers describe everyday activities.
- Realism is attention to detail, and an effort to replicate the true nature of reality in a way that novelists had never attempted.
- Their stories take place primarily among the middle or lower class society.
- Subjects are depicted without embellishment and interpretation
- The character is more important than the action and plot.
- Objectivity is totally important in this writings.
- The realist novel was heavily informed by journalistic techniques, such as objectivity and fidelity to the facts of the matter.
- Realism didn’t follow a plot structure because life don’t follow those patterns.
- Critics sometimes accused the practitioners of Realism of focusing only on the negative aspects of life.
Writers and Literary Works
Samuel Langhorne Clemens (November 30, 1835 – April 21, 1910), better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American writer, humorist, entrepreneur, publisher, and lecturer. Among his novels are The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876) and its sequel, the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), the latter often called “The Great American Novel”.
Mary Anne Evans (22 November 1819 – 22 December 1880; alternatively “Mary Ann” or “Marian”), known by her pen name George Eliot, was an English novelist, poet, journalist, translator and one of the leading writers of the Victorian era. She is the author of seven novels, including Adam Bede (1859), The Mill on the Floss (1860), Silas Marner (1861), Middlemarch (1871–72), and Daniel Deronda(1876), most of which are set in provincial England and known for their realism and psychological insight.
William Dean Howells was an American realist novelist, literary critic, and playwright, nicknamed “The Dean of American Letters”. He was particularly known for his tenure as editor of The Atlantic Monthly, as well as for his own prolific writings, including the Christmas story “Christmas Every Day” and the novels The Rise of Silas Lapham and A Traveler from Altruria.