1. Students are sent the vocabulary so they can check the meaning of those words before coming to class
6. to stagnate
11. offshore accounts
13. To hire
17. striking (adj)
3. to disregard
8. look forward
9. to improve
11. to alter
12. to slow down
2. Low income
7. to be packed with
8. in spades
9. To grab
10. To buy into
11. To allocate
13. To owe
15. To amass
16. To weight up
2. Students will respond these questions in a whatsapp group
- Which are the poorest countries in the world?
- Which are the richest countries in the world?
- is the republic of the congo a rich country?
- What’s the Tetse fly?
- what’s are poorest countries in asia?
In this stage, students are going to watch the video “Why Some Countries Are Poor and Others Rich” and complete the tasks
First Task: Students answer the following questions
- How many countries are there in the world?
- How many of them are very rich?
- What happens when countries don’t collect enough taxes?
- What are the consequences of clan-based thinking?
- What country is very religious and shows economic growth?
- Where are poor countries located?
- How is the soil in poor countries?
- What’s the poorest country in asia?
- What’s the name of the small fly present in Africa?
- How do economists call natural resources?
Second Task : Mark if these statements are true or false
- There are basically three factors that determine if a country is rich or poor
- The Republic of Congo is one of the poorest countries of the world
- Rich countries have bad institutions
- Poor countries have bad institutions
- Rich countries are less corrupt than poor countries
- The poorest countries are more corrupt
- Rich countries have a class-based thinking
- Culture doesn’t keep countries poor
- Culture are outlooks, ideas and beliefs
- In the poorest countries, most people don’t believe in the supernatural
Third Task : Complete the following sentences
- Institution are _____________ important.
- To ________________ the so called best candidate..
- Poor countries are________________located in the tropical regions.
- A tropical climate can be ____________________ to photosynthesis
- A key _____________ in the ______________ of society growing rich.
- ____________ part of the work force.
- The Setse Fly knocks outs animals on a _______________scale
- Humans are open to an __________ _________________of diseases
- Poor countries, on the whole, are very badly __________________
- Africa host 15 _______________ nations.
- Poor countries tend to have them in _____________
- You are gonna need the whole society to ________ into the project.
- Countries facing _______________ and hugely difficult problems.
Students with the help of google take some time to find an article that talks about how poor and rich are some countries or how these prosper.
This article from the about how Norways generates energy by getting rid of trash
Norway is importing as much rubbish as it can get its hands on, in an effort to generate more energy by burning waste in vast incinerators.