WARM UP ACTIVITY
- Students are going to be divided in teams , every class is going to pick a leader which must draw in the whiteboard
- The leader of the group must go in front and draw a picture of a mean of transport and his team of students need to guess what it is and say it aloud before the 30 second lapse is over.
- The student with more rights guesses wins
Introduce the vocabulary about the Means of transportation
Ferry, car, bike, truck, propeller plane, jeep, cable car, motorcycle, golf cart, helicopter, hot air, balloon, canoe, train, plane, race car, subway, boat, scooter, skateboard, rocket, submarine, taxi, bullet train, van, zeppelin, ambulance, tank, camper, catamaran, chopper, train, tow truck, cruiser, delivery truck, glider, garbage truck, kayak , yacht, snow mobile
Introduce this key verbs with its past form because students might find in readings
go, visit, take, plan, go out, travel, drive, ride,fly, buy, run, make.
Introduce the vocabulary of the characteristics of the mean of transportation
popular, slow, comfortable, easy, fast, modern, traditional, public, useful, expensive, cheap, reliable, timely, safe, crowded
Another vocabulary that might end up being useful for this topic
Stations, stop, catch, get on, journey, depart, leave, arrive, bus terminal, get off , board, driver, arrive, break down, flight, take off, bridge, highway,
PRACTICE (Reading & Listening)
- Students can review vocabulary and play a quizlet game about the means of transportation by clicking here
- Once the different means of transportation have been identified successfully by the class. Classify all of the means of tranportation into the following categories: Air transport, Rail transport, Road transport and Sea transport. Teacher and students can review this activity by using the quizlet flashcards
- Students complete a chart with the missing superlatives and comparatives
Choose some of these reading to enhance reading comprehension
You can try any of these activities to ensure the successful vocabulary of the new vocabulary
- Worksheet 1: Transport Crossword
- Worksheet 2 : Transport Picture Test
- Worksheet 3: Picture Crossword
- Worksheet 4: Transport Vocabulary Quiz
- Worksheet 5 : Transport Searchword
PRODUCTION (Speaking & Writing)
Students can write comparisons about the means of transportation using the degrees of comparison
- a car is more comfortable than a bus
- a motorcycle is faster than a bike
Student will create a dialogue discussing aspects about the mean of transportation such as the following and present it in front of the class and teacher
Mike: are you going to the beach?
John: Yes I am
Mike: are you taking the bike or the motorcycle?
John: I am taking the motorcycle
Mike: why the motorcycle?
John: I need to be there by 2:00 PM