Blanca Alvarez and her husband risked crossing the border to immigrate into the U.S. and then struggled to make ends meet. They hoped to shelter their children from these harsh realities, but Blanca’s daughter Connie reveals how much children can really see of their parents’ lives—and the inspiration they draw from their struggles.
- to immigrate, to struggle , to make ends meet, gardeners, night shift , candy dishes, snack , to put kids to bed, to go through a lot of things, to raise children, to neglect ,to finish college , to achieve dreams , icing on the cake
Ponder about and answer these questions before watching the video
- Do you recognize what parents do or have done for you?
- What is the best examples that you have seen in your parents lives?
Watch the video The Icing on the cake and think of these questions while watching it
- What were the first jobs that the family had when they arrived to the country?
- What is one of the memories that Connie had when her mom took her and her brother to work?
- What was the things that the family had to go through when arriving to the United States?
- What would Blanca had done different if she had the opportunity to raise her kids again?
- How was Blanca’s example an inspiration for Connie?
After watching the video and answering the questions
Write a short paragraph stating how your loved ones have served as an inspiration to achieve your goals.