On January 28, 1986, NASA Challenger mission STS-51-L ended in tragedy when the shuttle exploded 73 seconds after takeoff. On board was physicist Ronald E. McNair, who was the second African American to enter space. But first, he was a kid with big dreams in Lake City, South Carolina.
- to grow up , crew member , shuttle , takeoff , black folks , negro , to stare , librarian, to check out , subsequently , disturbance, counter , meanwhile , jail, take good care of , youngsters ,white folks, science fiction, astronaut , norm
Ponder about and answer these questions before watching the video
- have you ever attended a public library?
- Have you ever read a book? what did you read?
- What’s a book or movie that served as inspiration for making your dreams come true?
- have you ever postponed your dream because of what society thinks?
Watch the video Eyes on Stars and think of these questions while watching it
- How old was Ronald when he lived the experience of the video?
- Where did he decide to go and what did he want to do?
- What was the problem that he had with the librarian?
- What was Ronald’s mother biggest concern?
- How did the police officers react to the incident ?
- How did Ronald get inspired to become an astronaut?
After watching the video and answering the questions
- write a short paragraph stating what the perfect recipe for making dreams come true is