Nicholas Petron’s grandfather, Rocco Galasso, moved to New York City from Italy with the hopes of making a better life. For eighteen years Rocco served as owner and superintendent of an apartment building where much of his family resided–until the day they were given notice that their building faced demolition to make way for new apartments. As Nick remembers, that’s when everything changed.
- go for a walk , apartment building ,grew up , show up for dinnermake something clear , brand new ,relocate ,Sunday meal ,shovel,coal,broken
Ponder about these questions before watching the video
- Do you have a big family?
- Do you usually have family reunions?
- How strong is your relationship with your family members and relatives?
- Do you usually go for a walk with family or relatives? What do you guys usually do together?
- what ‘s a tradition that you used have that you have never done anymore?
Watch the video Sundays at Rocco’s and think of these questions while watching it
- What was Rocco’s profession?
- Who lived in the building?
- What was the family tradition?
- What did all Rocco’s family have to relocate?
- What did Rocco do to the windows of the building?
- Why was Rocco sad?
- What happened with the family reunions after Rocco left the building?
After watching the video
- No success in life can compensate for failure at home , write a short paragraph explaining why family is the most important thing in your life