What are captions?
Captions are the text version of audio, including speech, sounds and music, that can be found on TV, DVDs, online videos and at the cinema or theatre.
Similar to subtitles for foreign language films, captions generally appear at the bottom of a screen.
In some cases, they are positioned to show which character is speaking or where the sound is coming from. Different coloured text may also be used to distinguish between sounds.
Captions for learning English
Captions are very useful in the process of learning english because learners are exposed to new vocabulary and the vocabulary used in Tv shows is vocabulary for everyday use .
Considerations when using this activity
- Choose a program that you usually watch .
- Record all the word and phrases that you don’t know
- Look up the word and phrases in a dictionary
- Undertand that the first time you ‘ll get lots of new vocabulary so the task might seem overwhelming.
- Keep in mind that the task will be easier after several times doing the activity.